Sitting amidst four National Register Historic Districts in the heart of Kentucky's famed Bluegrass region is Kentucky's oldest city - one of the coolest places in history. Harrodsburg is full of the unexpected. A full-scale replica fort in Old Fort Harrod State Park commemorates the first permanent settlement west of the Allegheny Mountains. Providing an up-close view of one of the most unique ecosystems in the country, the geologically ancient Kentucky River Palisades, is the authentic 115-passenger Dixie Belle sternwheeler. Ten bourbon distilleries and a dozen wineries are a short drive away.
Old Fort Harrod
Harrodsburg is home to Beaumont Inn, the state's oldest family-operated country inn, and Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - 3,000 acres of discovery at America's largest restored Shaker community. It is one of the "Best Choice Reviews", "50 Best Small Towns - Downtowns in America", one of Smithsonian Magazine's "20 Best Small Towns to Visit in 2014" - the only Kentucky city on the list; and one of BBC NEWS Magazine's "Five Hidden US Travel Destinations." Authentic, affordable - and full of the unexpected.
This is Harrodsburg.
Dixie Belle Riverboat
- Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill: America's largest restored Shaker Village offers touring, dining, lodging, riverboat excursion, and crafts shopping in original 19th century buildings.
- Dixie Belle Riverboat: Cruise the Kentucky River aboard an authentic sternwheeler for spectacular views of the Palisades.
- Beaumont Inn: Kentucky's oldest family-operated country inn is noted for its antique-appointed guest rooms, traditional cuisines, and genuine hospitality refined through five generations of innkeeping.
- Old Fort Harrod State Park: Explore a full scale replica fort which stands as a tribute to the first permanent settlement west of the Allegheny Mountains.
- James Harrod, The Battle for Kentucky Outdoor Drama: The play dramatizes the story of the founding frontiersman James Harrod and his fight to make Kentucky free!
- Historic District Driving Tour: one-hour narrated tour encompasses over 200 years of Kentucky history.
- Dedman Drugstore/Kentucky Fudge Company & Next Door Eatery: Sit a spell in the cafe or at the original soda fountain and browse the early drug store memorabilia on display.
Harrodsburg/Mercer County Tourist Commission
P.O. Box 283, Harrodsburg, KY 40330